Close CORETECHS. Return to home page

Coretechs

Forum

Return to Forum

New UI comments

First impressions of the UI were 'Wow! this is great'. Its very pretty and I think its the basis for a much more professional and polished version of Tau Station. I really, really want to like it.

Unfortunately, there are issues with the new UI which have made game play a lot more difficult, to the extent that the amount of time I have been spending on Tau Station has dropped significantly. Simply put, the new UI has made the mechanical elements of the game more difficult and made playing the game less fun.

This is a quick set of comments on what I have seen/experienced so far :-

• Forum post preview: when previewing my post, there was no submit or return button. That resulted in the loss of the entire post. VERY frustraiting!!!!!! So I've had to retype this all again......
  • Scale: The lack of proper window sized scaling made interaction with the game much harder. I now have scroll up and down or left and right just to get to the buttons I need. This may be the same root cuase for several other complaints as well...
  • Areas: Consiging the areas button to a small corner of the screen is a puzzling design decision. Changing areas is one of the most frequently used activities in the game and hiding it away makes life that bit more difficult (it took me quite a while to find it). When we have large buttons for everything else, It makes no sense for this to be made so small and virtually hidden.
  • Stat Updates: No autmatic update for stat levels. I can be searching for salvagable goods and the stats do not update until I either run out of stats or move off to do something else
  • XP Progress: I like the circular progress bars but I also want to see a percentage. This is the design for the stats, why not for the XP as well? I prefer a percentage number over the circular progress bar - both is better. I dont get a percentage even if I go to the character profile
  • Inventory/Equipped: Why the item icons are soooooo large is unclear. It makes these screens really, really ugly.
  • Tasks: a colour key and labels would make this much clearer. There is no good reason for me to have to click on an icon to find out what it is.
  • Popup messages: When I find salvagable goods or pick up rations, I popup box appears to tell me what I have just done. Again, it doesnt need to be anywhere near that big. Sometimes they also hang around and dont automatically disappear either. Maybe make this optional?

As mentioned at the start, I really want to like the new UI. I think that overall it os a good step forward, but it has some decidedly rough edges at this time which I hope can be smoothed over time.

regards

Roosta

Comments

1. The scaling issues are something that will probably be fixed in the coming weekly updates.

However, I think the notification popups will not be changed. Hopefully they will get changed at some point, because sometimes they block another button and you have to either wait for them to go away or manually click the x button.

2. Note: if you're playing on Chrome, you can use the zoom feature to zoom out for a temporary fix of the scaling.

3. Thank you for your feedback.

I will check it in detail and reply a bit later, respective will share it with the team.

Cheers

4. Forum post preview: when previewing my post, there was no submit or return button. That resulted in the loss of the entire post. VERY frustraiting!!!!!! So I've had to retype this all again......

I checked it, but wasn't able to reproduce what you described. When I use the preview function, the preview is shown above the text field. Thus, I can continue working on the text.

Please send a bug report with more details that we are able to better understand what is happening in your case: https://taustation.space/report/issue/create

Thank you!

5. Forum post preview: when previewing my post, there was no submit or return button. That resulted in the loss of the entire post. VERY frustraiting!!!!!! So I've had to retype this all again......

I checked it, but wasn't able to reproduce what you described. When I use the preview function, the preview is shown above the text field. Thus, I can continue working on the text.

I've just verified this bug, and I think I know what's happening. If the preview text is long enough, then the screen's scroll bar doesn't include the fields below the text in its default "visible" area. When this happens, you don't see your original text or the "Preview" or "Submit" buttons, and you can't scroll down to them. You can, however, activate those fields anyway by hitting the TAB key to move the cursor to them, at which point the area visible to the scroll bar expands to include the element into which you just TABbed.

I'm probably not explaining this very clearly.

6. Following up on your feedback comments:

1. Forum post preview - see my reply above
    2. Scale - For now, please use full-screen mode via F11 (and maybe scale it to 90%), it's not final yet
    3. Areas - AFAIK, the current list is not the final design, but some kind of map was presented in the past see blog
    4. Stat Updates - That's a known issue, we will fix that.
    5. XP Progress - This idea was also mentioned by someone else, I will share the idea with the team.
    6. Inventory/Equipped - I think that's also not the final design, I'll follow-up and ask.
    7. Tasks - Can you specify more details for me, please? thx
    8. Popup messages - I will share your idea of making such popups optional with the team. I assume you mean the CORETECHS feedback messages that appear at the camera, right?

Cheers!

7. Tasks - Can you specify more details for me, please? thx

I think Roosta is referring to the fact that the "Tasks" tabs shows only a set of flags, with different colors and symbols (and no key explaining what they mean). Logic eventually teaches that the color reflects the stat required and the number of chevrons reflects the current difficulty, but the only way to find out which task a flag actually corresponds to is clicking it to open a separate pop-up. It would be more convenient if tasks were single-click, as they were with the old UI.

On a related subject: Has anyone yet figured out the reason or rhyme to the icons shuffling themselves on the screen after performing a task?

8. Yes, you are correct

9. Thank you very much for your response. I look forward to the upcoming changes and I (and I'm sure many othres) appreciate the hard work you and the team put in.