Close CORETECHS. Return to home page

Coretechs

Back to Citizen Council

Citizen Council Forum

Return to Forum

Bad (or good) outcomes for DW and station-specific reputation.

I wonder if DW in general should have some undesired outcomes. "The Yellow Box started beeping and before you could drop it and run away, you were zapped." "You were discovered trying to take the scroll and are now imprisoned. Your reputation took a hit and your ego is black and blue. Maybe you should work on your intelligence a bit more, cuz running up and trying to grap the scroll wasn't very smart" "XXX saw you coming and took YYY credits from you. You've failed in your mission, lost some loot, and probably won't get hired for a while.

"Maybe try a different station - everyone knows you're always stealing stuff here on ZZZ." (station-centered reputation is also an idea - some combination of overall reputation and local events). This could make players move around more and abandon mining just one spot. Negative effects could fade away over time.

Good bonus outcomes: "The guards thank you for finding that bomb and dismantling it. Your reputation on ZZZ just went up and they bought you a drink at the bar (FREE social booster....)."

Comments

1. All missions, including Discreet Work, have the shared characteristic that a failed stat test is merely a temporary delay, with no consequence except consuming stat and focus and forcing a retry. I think--though staff would know for certain--that any change to this would require a substantial revamp of their mission-creation software.

It would certainly aid immersion in the world of Tau Station if characters didn't, for example, stay frozen in midair indefinitely while you head back to your Hotel Room to regenerate drained stats for a retry. I don't know how realistic such a change would be, though. Failing that, I wish there were some sort of in-world explanation for why that sort of thing can happen.

2. I would defer to the programmers and hope that any changes would be strategic and minimize reworks - just exploring and suggesting some enhancements to DW to make this more interesting and varied. As I'm on the outside of the black box, my hope is provide feedback that can inform those decisions and lead to a more interest and hopefully long-term engagement. Point taken, though. No need to go too deep in pie in the sky directions!

3. Another thing that seems "wrong" is that education and training is meaningless in Discreet Work. I am a port technician with a Repair level of 5, but it still takes me several tries to repair a weapon, while, at the same time I can function like a master criminal and steal a crate of fruit with ease. I would like to see discreet work that takes character career into consideration. (The following would be easier to follow if I knew how to format.) There are six career paths available in Tau Station. Let's lay them out in a hexagon with a career path at each point. The top point is #1 and I will place Technologist there because it's my career. Tasks related to repair and technology should be easy for me and should carry the basic payout. The two points closest to me (numbers are clockwise) are #2 (Business) and #6 (Law). In my mind, these require the same mind set of doing things in a proper, set order to achieve a desired result and are Complimentary career paths. Tasks that deal with these areas should be more difficult to complete and give better rewards for completion. The next level of career closeness are #3 (Criminal) and #5 (Special Services). Both of these run counter to the Technologist's mindset because their methods do not follow set steps and procedures and are more apt to tangential thinking to get the job done. I call these Distant career paths. Tasks requiring skills common to these careers would be extremely difficult for a Technologist to successfully complete. Finally, we come to #4 (Medicine). Although both require repair skills, the subjects of the repairs are fundamentally different. Inanimate vs animate, man vs machine, sentient vs unaware,... etc. I call this the Opposite career path. Tasks requiring Medicine related skills would be impossible for a Technologist and should not even be attempted. {{{ Here is a complete breakdown of my Career Hierarchy. #1 Technologist (Law / Business) (Special Services / Criminal) (Medicine) #2 Business (Technologist / Criminal) (Law / Medicine) (Special Services) #3 Criminal (Business / Medicine) (Technologist / Special Services) (Law) #4 Medicine (Special Services / Criminal) (Law / Business) (Technologist) #5 Special Services (Law / Medicine) (Technologist / Criminal) (Business) #6 Law (Technologist / Special Services) (Business / Medicine) (Criminal) }}} I would extend this hierarchy to University courses as well, with the greater the distance from the career path, the greater the amount of time needed to learn a course. As it stands now, everyone can become an expert in everything because nanites require prerequisites, but do not consider the predisposed mindset of the individual. This leads to cookie cutter characters who can all do the same things in the same ways and this, I feel, is counter to the whole point of a role playing game.

4. While this has some merits, it fails to take into account those of us that have multiple careers. Do I just forget everything I learned in my other careers?

5. Of course not!! Every universe, every genre, has it's Doc Savage, or Bruce Wayne, or Tony Stark,... the hero (or villain) who is good at everything and a master of multiple fields. Those of us who were here at the start will always be the type of hero who have weapons named after us (Dare I hope that someday Bandall's Short Stubby Blunt Thing will be a Tier 5 Weapon feared across the galaxy?) I just feel that game balance would be better preserved by making it a little harder to excel at everything. The original role playing games recognized the dangers that this approach created, i.e., how can you role play when all the parts are the same? People choosing multi-classes were limited in how far they could advance in each class and experience was usually divided equally between the classes, making advancement a slow process. In Tau Station there is no such restriction , everyone ends up knowing everything, everyone excels, everyone is the same. My proposal merely seeks to give new players choices that will give both benefits and handicaps. It would promote true specialization, rather than cookie cutter sameness. You can still become Doc Savage, but it will take you a long, long time to do it.

6. heh, it already has taken a couple of years. All this does is set up new players with less options. I think there is merit in it, as I stated previously, I'm just not sure on the balancing when there so many other things that could use some love. If it's done incorrectly, will take twice as long to fix as opposed to doing things slowly. remember, this is still alpha, not a finished product.

7. My replies often draw upon other ideas that I have had, but have not been approved or even discussed. My proposal for education reform based upon career paths would only make university learning more difficult to obtain. I have also proposed Nano-Chip technology, which (although an antiquated forerunner to the modern Nanite system) would bypass the career restrictions that I have proposed. Nano-Chips would require the implementation of Modifications in order to be used. If the idea proves to be viable, it will give another valuable item that can be scavenged from the Wrecks, making scavenging an attractive side career for the adventurer. I expect none of my suggestions to be implemented immediately (or at all), but this is the time for deciding what fits into the overall plan of the game and leave it for the designers to figure out the difficult part.

8. Added to Trello.